With this wonderful pun of a title, I can happily announce that a save system AND in-game level editor have been added to Ringside Booker!
The navigation system is… mostly working… with the odd quirk, but nothing a little elbow polish couldn’t sort. With that stable again, I have set myself the mission of adding one of the biggest hurdles I met with the CWL project: Serialization. I swear I spent more time on save files, build outputs and UI bugs than anything else. Gameplay was almost an afterthoought by the time I’d fought with my spagetti code and the many quirks of every platform I was planning to release for.
This system is for one thing, tidy. I’ve learned a truckload at work, of how NOT to code things, and that’s been a huge help. Meaningful tests, clearer code layout etc are such a timesaver. I will admit, I caved and used Odin Serializer in the end, I was arguing with dictionaries, and then the Unity Editor, and decided to break my rule of not using libraries out of laziness. It’s paid off, as I now can get on with… gameplay! Speaking of…
Rivalry Data (couldn’t think of a wrestling pun)
I have been enjoying being able to add in some of the more detailed data – it’s now possible to at least see and store the history of when people have fought, it’s possible to even see immediately if one person has won a greater percentage of matches, and already the mind starts to rattle onto booking, storytelling… it’s all coming to life! 🙂
There’s a long way to go until the game will be what I am imagining in my design document, but… I’m excited, and it feels tangible. 🙂
Thank you for reading this! 🙂